RPM and file extended attributes

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Oct 29 12:48:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Mangalampalli, JayantX wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is it possible to preserve file’s extended attributes in RPM packages? I
> have some files that I want packaged and they have some EAs (like
> security.selinux etc) that I wish to preserve when installing them
> elsewhere. Can RPM be configured to preserve them? I could not find any
> options that help do that.

Not sanely possible currently, and probably wont be anytime soon either.
What you can in theory do now is set the EAs from %post, but this gets
real ugly fast, and for many things you dont really want the raw EA. For
example selinux parts can vary based on system policy, so just copying the
raw EA might not have the desider effect on another host.