fun with obsoletes in a weird way

Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov
Wed Aug 4 21:54:58 UTC 2010

Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com> wrote on 08/04/2010 03:31:42 PM:

> On Aug 4, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov wrote:
>

> > I'm thinking we aren't gonna get anywhere with this, but I'm looking to
see
> > if anyone has any suggestions?
> >

> Use a %pretrans, perhaps with "-p <lua>" to avoid complex
> dependencies is the short answer.
>
> There's another approach in two steps that is possible as well,
> but you MUST perform a two staged upgrade in order to remove
> the old directory on the path first.
>
> All of this has been with RPM (and cpio and tar and ... other archivers)
> since Day 1.

Well... I was about to try Jeff's suggestion, but before he got to me I
attempted placing the very ugly hack of removing the
directory /usr/java/jdk1.6.0 which belongs to the packaging being obsoleted
into the %pre section of the package doing the obsoleting.  I honestly
thought this wouldn't work and that I'd be back to the same issue I had
with the %post section, BUT it worked.  *shakes head*

-greg