RPM build errors: Could not generate output filename for package xxx: unknown tag

John Wieland johnny.c.sparkles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 23:49:25 UTC 2010

Thanks Greg.

I believe the problem was related to attempting to build the RPM on a ubuntu
machine (yes, I realize that ubuntu uses deb). As soon as I switched to a
red hat machine everything works fine. I had attempted originally to build
it on a red hat machine but had other issues with not having root access on
that machine to build it. So when the RPM was built it would attempt to put
it in /usr/src/redhat (which I don't have permissions for) I've since
discovered that the output directory of the RPM can be specified using
topdir. It seems as if my macros file is being ignored so I had to specify
topdir on the command line... Quite frustrating. I'll have to see if I can
reproduce the problem on a smaller scale so I can make a bug report at some
stage. It also seems to vary between the different rpmbuild installs.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
John