confused about %config file directive

Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov
Wed Jun 2 17:40:58 UTC 2010

> I want to create two RPMs.  The first RPM install apache and I call it
> my-apache.rpm and a second my-apache-config.rpm.  my-apache.rpm
> installs apache and my-apache-config.rpm adds some files like
> /usr/local/apache/conf/extra/my.conf but I also want it to overwrite
> my-apache.rpm's /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf with a custom
> httpd.conf
>
> In my-apache.spec I used these lines:
>
> %files
> %config /apps/SD/apache/conf/httpd.conf
>
> but when I attempt to install the RPM via YUM I get an error
>
> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf from install of
> my-apache-config conflicts with file from package my-apache
>
> I tried not using the %config directive and had the same result.  How
> can I specify in my spec file that it is OK to overwrite a file?

There is no clean, right, or easy way to do this (at least not that I've
found so please please please, someone correct me and prove me wrong).  We
suffer from the same problem and have several kludges that we use to
bludgeon the files into the system.  There is supposed to be a talk about
managing config files at the upcoming Red Hat Summit later this month, the
presentations should be available on the site afterwards if you are
interested.

-greg