rpmbuild error

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Mar 13 06:24:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, bclark at bwkip.com wrote:

> I am getting this error:
>
> error: error creating temporary file ${prefix}/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.CsA3oo: No
> such file or directory
> error: Unable to open temp file
>
> This error occurs after call to check-files.
>
> lines of executing (%PREP,%BUILD, %INSTALL) also have the ${prefix} but it
> has a prior / example) /${prefix}/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.t50rm1
>
> Not sure where $prefix is coming from

This seems to ring a bell...

> RPM Version: 4.8.0

Is your rpm self-built from sources? The bell ringing in my head says
there was (and quite probably still is as I dont remember fixing it) a bug
in configure/make system of rpm which causes these bogus ${prefix} paths
to be present unless you use --localstatedir=/var or such to configure
when building it.