possible to install an rpm in user space?

devzero2000 pinto.elia at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:33:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:49 AM, David Burns <tdbtdb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would google this and RTFM, but I must not be describing it well, I
> get useless hits.

The issue is not trivial at all.

> What I want to do is to take an rpm, and install it in my personal
> home directory without using root privileges, for my own use only. Is this
> possible? What sort of keywords should I use to find this in the
> documentation or when searching with google?

You need root privilege, rpm relocate or not, to update the default rpmdb.
One solution, for
not using root,  is to create a chroot for the user, use pam_chroot and
disabling (or not depending from sshd version) the sshd privilege separation
feature
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ap-chroot-ssh-env.en.html

Using --root with --dbpath (see rpm man page) don't work if you don't want
to use root (chroot required privilege/capability)

hth