Add a fake rpm in database

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Nov 16 15:32:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Murilo Opsfelder wrote:

> I'd like to know if it's possible to add a kind of fake rpm in rpm database.
>
> I would provide all rpm headers, for instance, from a file and add these
> headers in rpm database. As if I was running "insert" commands in it.
>
> I only need rpm name and version to be added in database.

I suspect a 'dummy' RPM, triviallty created and installed,
will meet your requirement

 	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/dummy-xscreensaver/

has a worked example, of a .spec file that provides an rpm
name, and a version set as to your choice, to the rpm
database.

The example was written in an LTSP environment I build for a
client, where I needed to prevent 'loady' xscreensavers from
being installed on a diskless workstation environment, as the
X clients ended spending all their driving the screen savers
rather than performing desired functions.  I wanted to make
sure the Requires: of some package was satisfied, so that all
dependnecies were satisfied, for certain script based updates
to work

-- Russ herrold