Getting vriable from a properties file in an rpm spec file.

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Feb 21 17:52:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Fawad Ali wrote:

>     Thanks for the reply but my RPM packaging is a lil bit different so I
> need to know if I am able to get values from a properties file or not.

Here is an example of running programs to define variables.

%define is_rh %(test -e /etc/redhat-release && echo 1 || echo 0)

Write your own program or script to read a "properties file" (whatever
you mean by that) and output a value.  I would suggest something like

%define version %(/usr/local/bin/getproperty myconfig.props VERSION)
%define release %(/usr/local/bin/getproperty myconfig.props RELEASE)

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>