how do you "fall back" to a previous file in a previous package

mark meyer geeky2 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:39:37 UTC 2011

hello all,

i am just getting in to the process of redefining our build / packaging environment to support rpm distribution.  to date - we have adopted an approach where by we distribute a .tar file and simply over-lay the files system.

i have been reading the documentation mentioned on the list in a prior post - but have a specific question:

example use case:

1) package pwel-ejb-1.0.0.0.rpm contains, one jar file named PWEL-EJB.jar.  the rpm installs the jar file to $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/.

2) package pwel-ejb-2.0.0.0.rpm contains one jar file named PWEL-EJB.jar.  the rpm installs
 the jar file to $JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/ in effect over-laying the jar file from package pwel-ejb-1.0.0.0.rpm.

what is the best practice or approach to employ if i want to UNINSTALL the jar
 file from package pwel-ejb-2.0.0.0.rpm and "fall back" to using the jar file installed from package pwel-ejb-1.0.0.0.rpm?

thank you,
mark