how do you "fall back" to a previous file in a previous package

mark meyer geeky2 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 20:51:58 UTC 2011

hello  Florian

> Well, the model RPM uses is - as far as I understand - a bit different
> from what most web applications do. RPM puts files to a fixed place on
> the file system. If $JBOSS_HOME is a dynamically set variable RPM won't
> be that good in dealing with it. If it is something you define once for
> all users of the RPM you should be fine.

$JBOSS_HOME will be set to the _SAME_ location on every server.

$JBOSS_HOME is really /var/lib/jboss-4.2.3.GA

however i have a symbolic link set to the specific version of jboss.  everything refers to the symbolic link.

example:

ln -s /var/lib/jboss-4.2.3.G /var/lib/jboss /var/lib/jboss

root at PrimexAMP ~ > cat .bashrc | grep JBOSS_HOME
export
JBOSS_HOME=/var/lib/jboss

> Same with the version numbers. RPM packages with the same name are
> supposed to be one line of updates. So if you have foo-1.0 installed it
> is going to be updated with foo-2.0 even automatically (if you configure
> you system accordingly). If you want it to be a real choice you
> typically include the major version into the package name:
>
> foo1-1.0.0 that is updated to foo1-1.0.1
> and foo2-2.0.0 that is updated to foo2-2.0.1 or foo2-2.1.0

are you saying that i cannot use my existing version number scheme?

right now our ant / java build environment supports this kind of versioning scheme:

if i were to tag and build the code right now i would produce this:

PWEL-EJB-2.5.0.9/

which would build PWEL-EJB.jar

i was hoping to package this jar file in to a single rpm named:

pwel-ejb-2.5.0.9.rpm

is this a reasonable approach ?

> If foo1 and foo2 contain the same files you should set a conflict
> between them.

ok - you lost me here.

probably my largest use case will be the supplanting or replacement of jar files in the jboss deployment directory.

example 1:

pwel-ejb-2.5.0.9.rpm is installed on the server.

pwel-ejb-2.5.0.9.rpm has as single jar file in it - PWEL-EJB.jar

this file would be deployed to:

$JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/

and over write ANY other file with that SAME name.

this is the way jboss works - you simply drop the new jar file in to the /deploy directory and jboss does the rest.

this is a simple use case - but an important one for me.

example 2:

pwel-ejb-2.5.0.9.rpm is installed on the server.

pwel-ejb-2.5.0.9.rpm has:

   1) a jar file ( PWEL-EJB.jar)
   2) a mysql database script.
   3) a shell (bash) script to run the database script

the jar file would be deployed to:

$JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/

and over write ANY other file with that SAME name.

rpm would invoke the shell script which in turn would run the database script.

does all of this make sense from an rpm perspective ?

thank you,
mark