why does rpm ask for an earlier release?

travel NJ travelnj11 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:58:42 UTC 2011

I have built an RPM with the following definition, then it created an rpm
called Python-2.7-2.x86_64.rpm.
It failed when I tried to install it, with the following

error: Failed dependencies:

        /home/sysadm/rpmbuild/Python2.7/Python2.7-root/usr/local/bin/python2.7
is needed by Python-2.7-2.x86_64
I looked into http://tldp.org/HOWTO/RPM-HOWTO/build.html, seems that release
is for the release number of the same version, hence I am not sure why it
causes the problem

*portion of the spec file*

%define _topdir /home/users/sysadm/buildrpm/Python2.7
%define name    Python
%define release 2
%define version 2.7
%define buildroot       %{_topdir}/%{name}%{version}-root
BuildRoot:      %{buildroot}
License:        GPL
Name:           %{name}
Version:        %{version}
Release:        %{release}
Source:         %{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
Prefix:         /usr
Group:          Development/Tools