Ignore RPM Dependencies

Tim Mooney mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Thu Mar 10 20:56:37 UTC 2011

In regard to: Re: Ignore RPM Dependencies, Ian Lake said (at 11:36am on Mar...:

> I want get rid of them because when I install the RPM, it fails for 'failed
> dependencies' for each of those *.so.* files.  Yet those files exist on the
> computer.

You would be ignoring the symptom, without addressing the underlying
problem.

When doing dependency solving, RPM doesn't examine what actually exists
on the system, it only looks in its database.  That means that if you
install some software via methods other than RPM (like you compile from
source and do "make install" or your download some tar-ball with
pre-compiled binaries in it and extract onto your system), RPM doesn't
know you've done that.

There are things you can do to "clue it in" after the fact, but they're
really just kludges.  What you really, really want to do on RPM-based
systems is install and manage *all* software via RPM.  This can get to
be a bit of a pain, especially for things like esoteric perl modules
that have a million dependencies that would be easy to just install via
"cpan" but require a lot of separate RPMs[1] if you package everything,
but ultimately it's the right way to manage RPM-based systems.

So, for the software that you have on your system, that RPM doesn't know
about, try packaging that software as an RPM and then re-installing it
via the RPM.

[1] Tools like cpanflute and mezzanine can help with some of that.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                  mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure       701-231-1076 (Voice)