Signing RPM packages

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Mar 18 21:09:03 UTC 2011

In regard to: Signing RPM packages, Keith Roberts said (at 8:52pm on Mar...:

> I'm building my own RPM's for Centos 5.5, and also sign them with my private
> GPG key.
>
> Here's a part of a simple 'package test' preamble;
>
> Name        : joe                   Relocations: (not relocatable)
> Version     : 2.9.8                 Vendor: White Socks Software
> Release     : 4                     Build Date: Fri 18 Mar 2011 15:37:03 GMT
> Install Date: (not installed)       Build Host: karsites
> Group       : Applications/Editors  Source RPM: joe-2.9.8-4.src.rpm
> Size        : 305627                License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 18 Mar 2011 15:37:04 GMT, Key ID 92866c1f1dc92c08
> Packager    : Santa Claws <santa at christmasdotcom)
> URL         : http://sourceforge.net/projects/joe-editor/
> Summary     : An easy to use, modeless text editor.
>
> As you can see I have signed this package with my own private GPG key.
>
> How do I create a public GPG key to allow others to download and install my
> Centos 5.5 packages please?

You already have a public GPG key, you just need to publish/advertise it.

Read the section of the GnuPG guide on exporting your public key, as
well as the advise on disseminating it.  See

 	http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/guides.en.html

The more people you can get to sign your public key (building the web of
trust), the better.  Read up on key-signing parties.

Tim