Old RPM database out of sync with installed packages

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Thu May 19 17:52:16 UTC 2011

I'm running Centos 5.6, and have moved my /var/ partition to
a spare hard drive. It worked OK untill Wednesday night,
when it got the click-of-death. So I have now replaced that
defunct drive with another one. Problem is my up to date
/var/lib/rpm/ directory was trashed on the dead drive.

I have been backing up the /var/lib/rpm/Packages file
nightly, and my latest copy is only 2 days old.

I have copied files from my original /var directory from the
root partition, but these are dated Jan 2011. I have
installed alot of other stuff since that date, so this is
totally out of sync with what's actually installed on the
system.

Is there some way I can use my backed up copies of
/var/lib/rpm/Packages to get the RPM database back in sync
with what's actually installed please?

I understand that this is the only file I need to do a fresh
rebuild of the RPM database, but am not sure how to go about
doing it.

Any help would be really much appreciated, as I don't want
to have to do a fresh installation right now.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net