RPM with a dependency (requires) for a package whose name varies across distributions

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Sep 17 09:47:04 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 11:31 PM, John Craws wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find any good hints on how to achieve the following (if possible).
>
> I have created an RPM that works as expected across a number of distributions.
>
> I now have to add a new dependency on another package (it already has
> some that work).
>
> The problem is that the package name (and provides) for that required
> package (DejaVu fonts) varies across the distributions (2 for the
> moment) that I am targeting and I could not find any virtual one that
> would work either.
>
> Do I really have to generate two different RPM packages with two
> different 'requires' values even though I require the same
> functionality in both cases (a font available via fontconfig) and the
> rest would be identical?
>
> Any hints?

If there are no common provides to depend on then there's one option
left: a common filename, IF there is one. If not, then you really need
to build different packages for different distributions. Note that
trivial differences like a single dependency name can usually be handled
with macros, so you'll only have one spec from which the packages for
different distros are built, instead of maintaining fully separate specs
for each.