building a package that can not be upgraded

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Jul 6 17:49:19 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 05:09 PM, Valery Reznic expounded in part:
> You can write pre-install script that check number of installed
> package instances ($1, iirc) and if
> package already installed, then exit with error message and non-zero
> status.
>
> But why do you want to do such a thing?

Like /dev/null and /dev/full, such boundary conditions often have uses.
For instance, how about an RPM package that can't be *installed*?  Why
would you want such an apparently useless thing?  Well, right off, I
could see it being useful in some repository to replace a broken package
- effectively also preventing anything depending on it from being
installed with a clean error.  (Although simply removing the broken
package from yum repo results in a reasonable error message.)

In fact, the use case for "can't be upgraded" in this instance is a
broken package.  Eventually, the package will be fixed, and *then* you
will want to upgrade it.  So maybe you want to create a new release of
the current (broken) version that can't be installed.  That will prevent
updates with yum until you get it fixed.