building a package that can not be upgraded

Valery Reznic valery_reznic at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 16:51:27 UTC 2012

I never said package that can't be updated useless, I just asked what it can be used for,
because my imagination has it's limits.

In your example - you said yourself  - one as easily can just remove package from repository.
OK, with non-upgradable package may be one will get more clear message. Good thing too.

Any other uses?

Valery.

Like /dev/null and /dev/full, such boundary conditions often have uses.  For instance, how about an RPM package that can't be *installed*?  Why would you want such an apparently useless thing?  Well, right off, I could see it being useful in some repository to replace a broken package - effectively also preventing anything depending on it from being installed with a clean error.  (Although simply removing the broken package from yum repo results in a reasonable error message.)

>In fact, the use case for "can't be upgraded" in this instance is a
    broken package.  Eventually, the package will be fixed, and *then*
    you will want to upgrade it.  So maybe you want to create a new
    release of the current (broken) version that can't be installed.
    That will prevent updates with yum until you get it fixed.