how to not let multiple arch rpm coexist

Rich Rauenzahn rrauenza at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 20:48:10 UTC 2012

[Not sure if this is a yum question, or an rpm question.. but since
yum is driven by rpm metadata, I'll start here?]

We've noticed sometimes if there is both a 32bit and a 64bit version
of a package in a repository yum will only install one of them.  But
sometimes it will prompt to install both.

Allowing only one is appropriate when the binary goes into /usr/bin,
and both packages can coexist just fine if they are libraries that go
into .../lib or .../lib64

We're building a package (i386 and x86_64) that installs a binary into
/usr/bin, yet yum seems to think both can be installed, similar to
libraries.  We don't want this...

Is this controlled through some rpm metadata specified in the spec
file?  I've had no success with google or rpm documentation.

Thanks!
Rich