How to use RPM for config file mainenance

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon May 28 15:26:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 09:44:31AM +0200, Fred van Zwieten wrote:

> I have seen various "solutions" to this
> config-file-is-owned-by-two-packages problem, but I don't like them,
> so far. The most popular seem to be to install your own config files
> in a separate location and copy them to the correct location in the
> %post. This is no good.

This is not good no, as it is the wrong place to do it and it depends
on package install order and interferes with other packages updates.
The right thing to do this (IMHO) is to copy your files (or, better,
run edit scripts or apply pacthes to the config files) in RPM trigger
scripts.  These will always be executed at the right moment.

I have give presentations about using RPM for this purpose at a few
conferences in the past.  If you contact me off-list, I will mail you
a PDF with the slides.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>