Manage installation order in yum group

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Nov 26 09:09:37 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 08:53 AM, Eran Ben Natan wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have created a group which contains 2 packages that are not depend on
> each other (DB package and application package). They can be installed
> on separate serves, or cohosted.
>
> If they are to be installed on the same server using the group, I need
> the DB package to be installed first. Unfortunately, YUM always install
> the application first.
>
> Is there a way to force YUM a specific installation order of
> non-dependent packages?

If you have rpm >= 4.9.x, this will cause <db package> to installed
before the application IF they are in the same transaction:

OrderWithRequires: <db package>

...but that trick isn't available on older rpm versions. Also there's
nothing preventing somebody from manually first installing them in the
"wrong" order, resulting in non-working packages.

It's better to avoid such implicit ordering constraints to begin with.
You didn't specify the actual reason for this ordering limitation so its
impossible to say how exactly to fix it, but for example it might be
possible to put the order-dependent thing into a third package which
both the application and the db package require.