Problem with installing Informix with RPM

Eran Ben Natan eranb at celltick.com
Thu Oct 11 12:14:11 UTC 2012

Thanks, Greg, for pointing out these issues.

The reason for not doing the installation in the %install is that I'm
not sure that the ids_install just create the target directory with its
content. If it does other things as well, then this approach won't be
sufficient.
I have tried 3 methods suggested by Informix for redistribution:
1. Use the deployment utility. Unfortunately I wasn't able to run the
ifxdeployassist command.
2. Use the "Extract the product files" option of the installer. The
problem with this approach was that I couldn't find the RUNasroot script
after the installation. This script, according to documentation, is
needed to complete the redistribution of the Informix database.
3. Use the new PRM feature. It worked after overcoming a few problems,
but It seems that I will need another RPM to create user Informix before
I run their RPM. This seems to be the best option.

Can you tell me how you installed previous versions of Informix with
RPM?

BR, Eran.