cpio: Bad magic on ARM

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:15:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM, <david.hagood at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am cross-compiling RPMs for an ARM target on an X86_64 machine. When I
> have successfully built my RPM for the target, and I try to install it, I
> get:

The only thing that comes to mind is, traditional cpio is byte sex
dependent.  Some are big endian, some are little endian, and some are
created with a canonical/portable byte order.  It appears that GNU cpio is
always portable in its output, but the issue remains back there in history
and could be surfacing in modern rpm.

This man page, although for Windows, describes it reasonably well:
http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/cpio.1.asp