is it possible to build an rpm to upgrade another package that i did not build

zhong ming wu mr.z.m.wu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 11:38:14 UTC 2012

I would like to upgrade in place an rpm supplied by the distribution
with one 1 compiled (only because some requirements are not in the
distribution version)

I just build it so that version string pattern matches what is in the
distribution but it seems to be not possible.  What else should I do
to the spec file so that I can do this?

yum remove and yum install is the not the route I would like to go at
this point because it would remove mess up the dependencies.

sudo yum install postfix-2.9-4.1.amzn1.i686.rpm
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, security, update-motd
 * amzn-main: packages.us-west-1.amazonaws.com
 * amzn-updates: packages.us-west-1.amazonaws.com
15 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Install Process
postfix-2.9-4.1.amzn1.i686.rpm
                                                 | 1.3 kB     00:00
Examining /var/tmp/yum-root-UoSO56/postfix-2.9-4.1.amzn1.i686.rpm:
postfix-2.9-4.1.amzn1.i686
/var/tmp/yum-root-UoSO56/postfix-2.9-4.1.amzn1.i686.rpm: does not
update installed package.
Error: Nothing to do

The same error with 'yum update'

Thanks