I cannot figure out how to prevent removal of configuration files...

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Sep 29 08:38:46 UTC 2012

On 09/29/2012 05:12 AM, Mark Jaffe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might be a little long-winded, but I am tearing my hair out over
> this problem. Here's the situation: we run our services under tomcat,
> and we have detailed configurations for each environment. At one time,
> before I got myself involved, all configs were managed "by hand", being
> checked-out from source control and placed in the required directory.
> There is a single file, "gwy-tomcat6" which gets sourced during startup,
> and in some cases an additional file "gwy-tomcat6.env" may also exist.
>
> Based on some work I had done in another establishment, I realized we
> could manage these configs within the rpm, so I added some logic to
> determine which environment was being installed, and to make sure the
> correct configs were in place. Here is the strategy:
>
> source control contains:  gwy-tomcat6.dev, gwy-tomcat6.qa
> <http://gwy-tomcat6.qa>, gwy-tomcat6.stg, gwy-tomcat6.perf, gwy-tomcat6.prod
>
> these are put in place in the rpm %install section:
> install -m 0644  server/sysconfig/gwy-tomcat6.prod
> %{buildroot}%{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/
> install -m 0644  server/sysconfig/gwy-tomcat6.dev
>   %{buildroot}%{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/
> install -m 0644  server/sysconfig/gwy-tomcat6.perf
> %{buildroot}%{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/
> install -m 0644  server/sysconfig/gwy-tomcat6.qa <http://gwy-tomcat6.qa>
>            %{buildroot}%{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/
> install -m 0644  server/sysconfig/gwy-tomcat6.stg
>   %{buildroot}%{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/
>
> In the %post section, logic determines the environment, and does this
> (for example):
>        cd /etc/sysconfig
>        rm -f gwy-tomcat6.prod  gwy-tomcat6.perf
>        rm -f gwy-tomcat6.stg
>        rm -f gwy-tomcat6.qa <http://gwy-tomcat6.qa>
>        mv gwy-tomcat6.dev  gwy-tomcat6
>
> All should then be well when the application starts up. But here's the
> kicker: during %postun, rpm does a removal of what it believes are
> artifacts from the previous version, and the carefully managed
> configuration file disappears!
>
> I've tried numerous tricks like setting %config attributes:
> %config %attr(644,root,root) %{_sysconfdir}/sysconfig/gwy-tomcat6
>
> But then I just end up with a gwy-tomcat6.rpmnew which the application
> ignores.
>
> Is there something I could do to solve this dilemma?

Rpm doesn't do anything by itself in %postun, your scripts do. Sounds
like your scripts are not upgrade-aware: if %postun needs to clean up
things when the package is actually removed but leave everything alone
on upgrades, you need to do something like

%postun
if [ $1 -eq 0 ]; then
    # remove stuff... but only on erase, not upgrade
fi