rpm and platform detection

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Apr 12 05:23:41 UTC 2013

On 04/11/2013 06:27 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 06:16 -0700, Alice Wonder wrote:
>

>> Anyway, if anyone knows what part of my tool chain is lacking resulting
>> in configure not detecting that I'm linux, I would very much appreciate
>> it.
>
> OK - it looks like config.guess is where I need to investigate.
> The %configure macro was incorrect resulting in inability to build
> shared libs, editing /var/lib/rpm/macros and changing once instance of
> "none" to "linux" fixed that, and that part of the macros file indicated
> it was generated based on config.guess.
>
> So I'm closer to figuring it out.

Yup, config.guess is where ./configure gets the build/host triplet, so
you need to figure out where the "none" is coming from. Note that this
isn't specific to rpm, any autotools (autoconf, automake) based project
should exhibit the same behavior. Autotools upstream(s) would likely be
able to better help you with this, rpm is just a "consumer" of those and
I'm not that familiar with autotools internals.