rpm and platform detection

Alice Wonder alicewonder at shastaherps.org
Sun Apr 14 09:57:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-12 at 08:23 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 04/11/2013 06:27 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-04-10 at 06:16 -0700, Alice Wonder wrote:
> >

> >> Anyway, if anyone knows what part of my tool chain is lacking resulting
> >> in configure not detecting that I'm linux, I would very much appreciate
> >> it.
> >
> > OK - it looks like config.guess is where I need to investigate.
> > The %configure macro was incorrect resulting in inability to build
> > shared libs, editing /var/lib/rpm/macros and changing once instance of
> > "none" to "linux" fixed that, and that part of the macros file indicated
> > it was generated based on config.guess.
> >
> > So I'm closer to figuring it out.
>
> Yup, config.guess is where ./configure gets the build/host triplet, so
> you need to figure out where the "none" is coming from. Note that this
> isn't specific to rpm, any autotools (autoconf, automake) based project
> should exhibit the same behavior. Autotools upstream(s) would likely be
> able to better help you with this, rpm is just a "consumer" of those and
> I'm not that familiar with autotools internals.
>
> 	- Panu -
> ____________________

config.guess was not the problem, it gives same results as any platform.

With the manual changes to the RPM macros, it did build RPMs but the
without the ability to autodect dependencies etc. - I did not have
elfutils installed.

I grabbed the latest elfutils and compiled it and installed it, and
doing so broke my tool chain, I was not able to compile anything after
that, I suspect it replaced something. The actually happened in
configure scripts while testing ability to link.

So, wiped that LFS and did it again, have RPM installed again (but same
problem - it did not configure for linux) and I'm in the process of
bootstrapping it now so that on a second attempt to install elfutils, I
can build it as an RPM and hopefully figure out what parts of the
toolchain it wants to replace.

I'll get there.