4.8.1 -> 4.9.1.3 upgrade woes

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Jul 23 17:43:36 UTC 2013

On 07/23/2013 03:25 PM, Dash Four wrote:
> On one of my development machines (FC13-based) I tried to upgrade my rpm
> from 4.8.1 to 4.9.1.3 yesterday since I couldn't use the existing rpm
> when trying to build images based on newer repositories (FC17+), which
> uses rpm 4.9 and above.
>
> The upgrade wasn't as straight-forward as I thought and I had to build
> the new rpm (4.9.1.3) from sources while upgrading my db4-* packages to
> libdb-devel-5.0, libdb-5.0 and libdb-cxx-5.0 prior to that in order to
> accommodate existing (BuildRequires) dependencies. All seemed well and I
> was able to build the new rpm without too much fuss (though I hit a few
> problems - see at the end of this post).

Note that rpm 4.9.x works just fine with BDB 4.x versions too, there's
no requirement to use 5.x.

As an aside, rpm 4.9.x is getting a bit long in the tooth already, why
not go with a newer stable version if upgrading?

> There was no problem during the actual upgrade either, however, I hit a
> major snag when I tried to use the new rpm.
>
> After the rpm upgrade when I tried to use it (typed "rpm -qa") I've got
> the following errors:
>
> error: db5 error(-30969) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
> environment version mismatch
> error: cannot open Packages index using db5 -  (-30969)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> error: db5 error(-30969) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
> environment version mismatch
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>
> Trying "rpm --rebuilddb -v" wasn't of any use either as I ended up with
> the following errors:
>
> error: db5 error(-30969) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
> environment version mismatch
> error: cannot open Packages index using db5 -  (-30969)

When upgrading from a BDB version to another, you'll need to remove the
BDB environment, which is always incompatible between BDB versions:
'rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*'

> Any ideas how to solve this as I am currently unable to use my system to
> add/update/delete packages at all, also which means I cannot revert to
> the old rpm? Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> On a slightly separate note, during the new build, I failed about 32 rpm
> checks - all caused by non-existing "/proc" directory (I am using mock,
> so /proc isn't there, obviously), so that is something for the
> developers to note for future releases.

This should be taken care of in newer rpm versions already.