Directory structure and version conflicts

Fabricio Cannini fcannini at gmail.com
Wed May 22 17:44:25 UTC 2013

Em 22-05-2013 03:05, Miroslav Suchy escreveu:
> On 22.5.2013 00:38, Fabricio Cannini wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I'm trying to define a directory structure that allow for many varieties
>> of the same software to be installed . The differences would consist of :
>>
>> - Software version
>> - Compiler vendor
>> - Compiler version
>>
>> These packages are for centos 5 and 6, basically .

Hi Mirek !

> This is addressed by Software Collections. Which quite handy especially
> for libraries:
> https://fedorahosted.org/SoftwareCollections/
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Contributor_Documentation/1/html/Software_Collections_Guide/index.html

I've never heard of Software Collections before, nice to know. ;)
I could not find how to change the PATH when enabling a collection. I'd
guess it's the same way as with LD_LIBRARY_PATH [0] but I'm not sure .

[0]
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Contributor_Documentation/1/html/Software_Collections_Guide/sect-Software_Collection_Library_Support.html

Also, our users are already used to environment-modules .
What would be a great advantage of Software Collections against
environment-modules ?