meaning of 'Provides: X' '>' or '>=' %evr ?

Jason Vas Dias jason.vas.dias at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 11:17:22 UTC 2014

Thank you !
IMHO, the RPM using community would benefit greatly from having ALL .spec
file syntax completely defined & documented somewhere .
The only documentation on .spec file syntax I can find is :
  Maximum RPM:       http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/index.html
  Fedora RPM Guide:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/
And neither of these make any mention of the "Provides: X '>'/'>='
%evr"  feature.
Does anyone know of any better reference documentation for .spec file syntax ?
Thanks & Regards,
Jason