%pre scripts with a non-zero exit status.

Eran Ben Natan eranb at celltick.com
Wed Dec 3 07:57:06 UTC 2014

Look at the following scenario: A requires B. B, in the %post, runs an activity that is essential for A. If you install A with YUM, and that activity of B fails, YUM will install A anyway, but A will not be functional because the %post of B failed.
Checking that the %post of B completed successfully in %pre of A will prevent that situation.