Best practices for multi-distribution RPMs?

Daniel John FitzGerald basicmanfitz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:06:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've spent considerable time lately trying to find an answer to this
question, but have not had much luck.  I'm working on a software project
that builds for both RHEL and SLES, but the required packages change
across systems (for instance, on RHEL we require httpd, whereas on SLES
its apache2-prefork).  I would like to create a single RPM for all
systems that conditionally changes the "Requires" tag based on what
distribution the RPM is being installed to, but I'm learning that this
is not possible.

What is considered to be the best practices when creating an RPM
targeted for different Linux distributions?  That is, can we have "one
RPM to rule them all", or is it considered preferable to have a
different RPM generated specifically for each Linux distribution
supported.  Furthermore, is there any place where I can find those best
practices documented somewhere (ie: "written in stone" on a RedHat or
RPM website).

Thanks in advance,

Dan