rpmbuild harmless error message - update

David Dembrow david.dembrow at rockwellcollins.com
Mon Feb 16 16:33:02 UTC 2015

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 13:45:56 +0100
> From: Florian Festi <ffesti at redhat.com>
> To: rpm-list at lists.rpm.org
> Subject: Re: rpmbuild harmless error message
>
> On 02/13/2015 05:58 PM, David.Dembrow at corp.rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> > I have a spec file to package an internal application that generates the
> > following error messages which appear to happen before the prep section:
> >
> >         tar:  Error in writing to standard output
> >         tar:  Error is not recoverable exiting now
> >
> > then it starts processing the prep section, and eventually successfully
> > builds the rpm packages.
> >
> > Can someone help me track down what the problem is and how I may get rid
> > of the problem.
>
> Hard to tell without the spec file. You are aware that the %setup macro
> will try to unpack the source tarball, right?
>
> Florian
>
> Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
> Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB 153243,
> Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael
> O'Neill, Charles Peters
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I am aware that the setup macro tries to unpack the
> source archive, and it appears to work.

Thanks for the reply.  I am aware that the setup macro tries to unpack the
source archive, and it appears to work.

Looking into what is causing the error, I found it happens for the URL:
entry which I am trying to use a variable that is generated from the
archive label.
An example spec entry follows.

%define url_label %(echo `tar -tzf ../SOURCES/%{name}_%{version}.tar.gz |
head -1`)

followed by the URL entry that uses the variable.

It actually works but includes a harmless side effect of the tar error
messages.

Is there a more appropriate solution?

Thanks,
---d.dembrow