Debugging selectmodule.so

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 15:12:18 UTC 2015

Hi!

This mailing list is about the RPM package manager not about any
software that might ever have been in an rpm package. As your question
is about a Python standard library python.org is a much more appropriate
place to ask.

On 01/08/2015 07:00 AM, Vikram Hosakote (vhosakot) wrote:

> In this ‘select’ package, I see that one of the functions blocks/hangs
> unexpectedly and does not return. Since this package is in the binary
> file /usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-dynload/selectmodule.so, I am not able to
> view its code or debug the issue.

Well, select is a system call that's purpose is to wait for data on a
file descriptor. Also it is a very basic thing. So changes are high that
the library is correct but your expectation is off.

> Could you please let me know the way to debug this binary file
> /usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-dynload/selectmodule.so of the RPM
> python-libs-2.7.5-16.el7.x86_64 when I see a function block/hang  in the
> ‘select’ package.
>
> I am able to load the binary using gdb.
>
> [root at controller python2.7(keystone_admin)]# gdb
> /usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-dynload/selectmodule.so

Well, I'd rather load the python interpreter and have it execute the
python script (via command line parameter) which will load the module on
it's own. But I doubt that using gdb is the right thing here at all. I'd
rather read the module documentation at least one more time and the ask
some Python folks how to use it properly.

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael