AIX rpmbuild on large package

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Mar 2 16:28:10 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016 04:24 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 01:37 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>
>> That is a failure inside libmagic, rpm is only the messenger here.
>> It should be reproducable outside rpm with:
>>
>> $ file -z -e tokens <path-to-buildroot>/foo/bar/libfile.so
>>
>> ...assuming 'file' is linked against the same libmagic version as rpm,
>> that is.
>>
>> Also what 'ls -l' says about the file might help shed some light on
>> it. Like Jay noted there's a 4G limit on individual files, but rpm
>> should clearly report that with a "File <path> too large for payload"
>> message so I suspect this is something different.
>
> The file itself is only 95984 bytes.
>
> user at aixbox[/home/user]> /opt/freeware/bin/file -z -e tokens
> /foo/bar/libfile.so
> /foo/bar/libfile.so: ERROR: cannot allocate zu bytes (Invalid argument)
>
> If I delete that file during the build, the build errors on another file
> the same way.
>
> So, a bug in libmagic?

So it seems. Also throwing that strange "cannot allocate zu bytes" into
google says you're not the only one seeing it, see the "Problems on AIX"
threads starting at http://mx.gw.com/pipermail/file/2012/000965.html

>>> Smaller packages can be built just fine. I've doubled the ulimit on
>>> files open, memory, etc. but it fails on the same file on a rebuild.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> You should be able to get past it by doing 'chmod a-x
>> %{buildroot}/foo/bar/libfile.so' at end of %install section (and/or
>> possibly adjust %files section to make it non-executable there too).
>> The dependencies wont get recorded that way, but that can be worked
>> around by manually adding them in the spec if need be.
>
> It doesn't matter if the file is executable or non-executable. The error
> still occurs, albeit with "mode 100644".

Hmm, when it should only warn, not error out on non-executable files. Of
course it'll still fail to get the dependencies right, so the best
option is to fix (by updating I suppose) libmagic.