error: Failed dependencies

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Mar 29 21:58:53 UTC 2016

In regard to: error: Failed dependencies, david kerns said (at 2:44pm on...:

> Just joined the mail-list and found an (unresolved) existing thread with my
> exact issue. I'm hoping this get's linked to the existing thread... (last
> response Tue, Sep 1, 2015)
>
> # rpm -i mypackage.x86_64.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>    libtestlib.so()(64bit) is needed by mypackage.x86_64.rpm
>
> # rpm -qlp --provides mypackage.x86_64.rpm
> testlib.so()(64bit)
> /opt/mypackage/lib/testlib.so
> /opt/mypackage/lib/libtestlib.so

This is just a guess, but it looks like the shared library you're creating
either doesn't have a SONAME or the SONAME doesn't match the actual file
name.

You should probably read up on best practices for creating a shared
library on your platform (Linux, I presume, though you don't provide
any details about your OS, distribution, version, or RPM version, all of
which would be useful to include).

> Note: libtestlib.so is a symbolic link to testlib.so
>
> If I make a hard link instead of a symbolic link (during the build
> process), the rpm install works fine

That seems to confirm that it's an issue with the SONAME.  Read up
on shared libraries on Linux and the SONAME.

PS: if this is a package you will eventually distribute to customers,
it's even more important that you follow more of the Linux conventions
for shared libraries.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)