failed dependency

Heyman, Jerrold Jerrold.Heyman at emc.com
Mon May 23 17:42:31 UTC 2016

Howdy,

I have two RPMs, one which is dependent on a library installed by the other.
Both are 64bit Intel binaries/libraries, and it works just fine if I turn off dependency checking (--nodeps).
Obviously this is not something I want as using -nodeps will also cause an invalid installation if the dependent RPM isn't there.

rpmA is the full package necessary to execute the command included in rpmA
rpmB is a debug package, containing a debug (non-stripped) version of the binary and non-stripped shared library.
rpmA installs an additional shared library - stripped - that rpmB also needs.  It is this shared library that causes the dependency failure when installing rpmB

[root at heymaj1-test build]# rpm -q --provides rpmA
RPMA
librpma.so
rpmA = 1.0.0.1-000000
rpmA(x86-64) = 1.0.0.1-000000
[root at heymaj1-test build]# rpm -U --test rpmB.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
                librpma.so()(64bit) is needed by rpmB.x86_64

The library is installed correctly in /opt/emc/productname/lib
Does that need to be /opt/emc/productname/lib64?

Jerry Heyman                           |
Principal Software Engineer            |    Software is the difference
EMC Data Domain                        |    between hardware and reality
Jerrold.Heyman at emc.com / 919.597.7812  |