Perl dependency error

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Jul 31 23:08:04 UTC 2017

In regard to: Perl dependency error, Jeff said (at 5:55pm on Jul 31, 2017):

> Strangely yum notices the dependency upon /bin/perl and announces:
> ---> Package perl.x86_64 4:5.16.3-291.el7 will be installed
>
> But then dies with the error:
> Error: Package: mypackage-0.0.6-1.mydist.noarch
> (/mypackage-0.0.6-1.mydist.noarch)
>           Requires: /bin/perl

One of the problems that RHEL 7 / CentOS 7 / etc. have triggered by
the unification of /usr/bin and /bin relates to auto-dependencies and
paths to script interpreters.

Try rebuilding "mypackage", but do so with /usr/bin in your PATH before
/bin (/bin is just a symlink to /usr/bin on RHEL 7 / Centos 7).

> $ rpm -q --whatprovides /bin/perl
> perl-5.16.3-291.el7.x86_64

I think that must be new, because earlier versions of the perl package
on RHEl 7 did not include /bin/perl as a provided path -- only
/usr/bin/perl, which is what all previous versions of the OS had.  I know,
because we had a similar issue with some perl code I had packaged under
RHEL 7.1.  I mistakenly still had /bin in my PATH, which caused a
configure script to find /bin/perl, when really it should have been using
/usr/bin/perl.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)