Advice for handling very large files in rpm

Stuart Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Wed Apr 18 14:23:01 UTC 2018

On 04/18/2018 04:28 AM, tim.green wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I have an application that is around 10 gigabytes that I would like to
> package with rpm, it is mostly java EAR files and an application server.
> Everything must be self-contained and run on each server it is
> installed on, however I have a problem with one part: the database.
>
> The database is about 300 gigabytes in size, and so I am concerned
> about simply making an rpm out of it.
RPM will make a copy of that 300G as part of an update - the filesystem
needs to have enough room.  RPM checks that - hopefully with 64-bit
arithmetic.

Is RPM subject to ULIMIT?  Does it handle it gracefully if so?

I would go ahead and make an RPM initially - just to test rpm with large
files.  Would the rpm work on a 32-bit system?  Does it give a graceful
error if not?

If the 300G rpm turns out to be impractical, you could make an RPM with
a "data update" application that downloads and installs the data,
verifying with sha256.