Advice for handling very large files in rpm

tim.green ttgreen at zoho.eu
Fri Apr 20 06:57:47 UTC 2018

---- On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:23:01 +0200 Stuart Gathman <stuart at gathman.org> wrote ----

On 04/18/2018 04:28 AM, tim.green wrote:

Good morning,

I have an application that is around 10 gigabytes that I would like to package with rpm, it is mostly java EAR files and an application server.

Everything must be self-contained and run on each server it is installed on, however I have a problem with one part: the database.

The database is about 300 gigabytes in size, and so I am concerned about simply making an rpm out of it.

RPM will make a copy of that 300G as part of an update - the filesystem needs to have enough room.

Unfortunately I don't have the space for another 300G. Also I am unsure now if it makes sense - some of the major benefits of rpms are lost if the data files are being constantly modified. It feels like something I want rpm to manage though, a-la-git-LFS. Maybe there could be an rpm-LFS :)

I will look at the data update application approach.

Regards,

tt

 RPM checks that - hopefully with 64-bit arithmetic.

 Is RPM subject to ULIMIT?  Does it handle it gracefully if so?

 I would go ahead and make an RPM initially - just to test rpm with large files.  Would the rpm work on a 32-bit system?  Does it give a graceful error if not?

 If the 300G rpm turns out to be impractical, you could make an RPM with a "data update" application that downloads and installs the data, verifying with sha256.

Rpm-list at lists.rpm.org