[Rpm-maint] Assorted changes in my rpm branch

Peter Bowen pzb at novell.com
Thu Dec 14 20:50:12 UTC 2006

> Some of the changes in my branch are, from oldest to newest:
> * Actually get the thing to compile on my FC6 machine.
> * Remove xmlspec
> * Remove lua support
> * Remove third party libraries
> * Remove using neon
> * Remove all support for non-local rpms

Wow! You beat me to it!  I have been playing around with source
reorganization, but you are way more on the ball.

> It's quite possible that there actually is a good reason to have a lot
> of this stuff in rpm, but I haven't heard it yet. If there are some bits
> that would be useful to rpm.org at large, I'd be happy to massage the
> code to make it easier to grab them.

The only bit that I would have left in is lua support, and this is only
because it allows working around one annoying bug.  In openSUSE 10.2,
lua is used to remove the /usr/lib/X11 and /usr/include/X11 symlinks, so
that the fun "rpm can't replace a symlink with a directory" bug does not
hit.  Obviously a better solution would be to fix the bug, but is fixed
it for now.

Thanks.
Peter