[Rpm-maint] Assorted changes in my rpm branch

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Thu Dec 14 21:15:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 15:50 -0500, Peter Bowen wrote:
> > Some of the changes in my branch are, from oldest to newest:
> > * Actually get the thing to compile on my FC6 machine.
> > * Remove xmlspec

Dated and not relevant - nuke

> > * Remove lua support

See below.

> Wow! You beat me to it!  I have been playing around with source
> reorganization, but you are way more on the ball.
>
> > It's quite possible that there actually is a good reason to have a lot
> > of this stuff in rpm, but I haven't heard it yet. If there are some bits
> > that would be useful to rpm.org at large, I'd be happy to massage the
> > code to make it easier to grab them.
>
> The only bit that I would have left in is lua support, and this is only
> because it allows working around one annoying bug.  In openSUSE 10.2,
> lua is used to remove the /usr/lib/X11 and /usr/include/X11 symlinks, so
> that the fun "rpm can't replace a symlink with a directory" bug does not
> hit.  Obviously a better solution would be to fix the bug, but is fixed
> it for now.

I think lua is discreet enough to be of value moving forward, I think
the rpmHook mechanism Gustavo introduced to plumb it in is also a really
good framework to look at dealing with some of the current issues I've
been facing and want to deal with.

We're also using lua, although that could be reduced to a library/binary
call right now for selinux policy stuff.

Paul