[Rpm-maint] Assorted changes in my rpm branch

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Dec 14 22:24:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 21:34 +0000, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 16:28 -0500, James Bowes wrote:
> > Paul Nasrat wrote:
>
> re lua
>
> > So maybe instead of yanking it, the idea could be to do up some docs or
> > examples of how you can use it effectively and correctly in macros?
>
> Also possibly invest some time in looking at the common tasks for
> scriptlets and providing interfaces or automation of them.  The key is
> to look at the problems we're trying to solve and figure out what makes
> sense.

I think this is an excellent point and one we should work on.

1. What are the set of things we need rpm to do now and in the future
2. What are the set of things that need to be fixed in rpm and how well
does fixing them line up with 1?

>From this we should be able to derive a set of features that are or are
not needed and hopefully a set of deliverables.

It seems like rpm has a set of tools that do a number of different
things:

roughly:
- rpm-as-package-handling-tool (rpmi)
- rpm-as-package-creation-tool (rpmbuild)
- rpm-as-database-access-tool (rpmq)
- rpm-as-certificate-checksum-verification-creation-tool (rpmk)

Does the above meet the needs of the items from 1?

-sv