reply: [Rpm-maint] Assorted changes in my rpm branch

Charles C. Bennett, Jr. ccb at acm.org
Mon Dec 18 03:42:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 16:04 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> > > This seems like a good reason to me to remove neon support from rpm.
> > > Why would a person want to do:
> > >     rpm -ivh http://foo.com/bar.rpm
> > > When they could do:
> > >     wget http://foo.com/bar.rpm; rpm -ivh bar.rpm
> > > I think you should take this to the next logical conclusion.  After
> > > all, I'm perfectly capable of just downloading a directory of packages
> > > and resolving the dependencies by myself, seems like a good enough
> > > reason to kill off yum and friends.  No reason to bloat a system with
> > > python when wget is all you need.
> > > Jason
> >
> > I'm sure I'm not alone in having a custom PXE-based system installer for
> > a very specific type of enterprise appliance deployment that gets all of
> > it's RPMs from the PXE server using rpm -ivh http://foo.com/bar.rpm.
>
> And you can't include wget or urlgrabber or curl in that pxe-based
> system installer?
>
> > Yes YUM can handle something like this but I need to pre-load a very
> > small amount of infrastructure to bootstrap rpm.
>
> and if you can get rpm on the system you can get wget on there.

Yeah it's not a problem... I'm on busybox.  The point being that there
are probably quite a few bits of admin scripting out there that will
need to cope with this if it changes.  Everybody's going to have pet
features and plans to crush them will be a minefield.  Can we operate
from the Principle of Least Astonishment?

If y'all can keep a wiki page that monitors these kinds of changes to
the interface that have simple workarounds it'll be easier for us to
pull together a wrapper script that presents an old-school interface.

ccb