[Rpm-maint] Space in Buildroot pathname

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 08:42:19 UTC 2007

Hi RPM expert,

I did face a strange error using rpmbuild / rpm
with a generated spec file (I do generate the spec file),
the error looks like a "syntax" error coming from the spec file parser.

The error occurs only when the Buildroot path contains a space character
(otherwise the generated spec file works perfectly)

You'll find an example specfile attached.
You may reproduce the error using:

rpm -qi --specfile cmake.spec

any usage of rpmbuild or rpm command leads to the same error.
If I remove Buildroot tag from the spec file and put it on
--buildroot command line argument I do get trouble
with the generated %prep %install etc... shells scripts who
do not escape correctly the space character.

Now my question is:

Do spec file accept "Buildroot" pathname containing space?
If yes this is a bug.
If not should it be a valid request feature?

--
Erk