[Rpm-maint] changelog truncating

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Aug 30 18:53:47 UTC 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 18:09 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 August 2007, seth vidal wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >  Would it be possible to add an option to the specfile parser or to
> > > rpmbuild that would tell it to truncate the changelogs included in the
> > > package last N entries? It would default to including them all but give
> > > us the option of clipping off the really old ones just eating up space
> > > on mirrors and in repodata.
> >
> > That would clip it off the actual packages too, no?
>
> yes. that's the point
>
> keeps it out of the rpmdb, out of the metadata, the whole shooting
> match.

Well, you probably guessed it but I don't really like it if it causes the need
for me to start hunting older changelog entries than what's available in
packages/rpmdb from specfiles, CVS and whatnot.  I wouldn't mind it if the
clipped entries were automatically placed in a let's say something like an
old-package-changelog.txt %doc file (or if the packagers just did that
themselves).