[Rpm-maint] lzma payload suppport patch

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 07:07:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:

> Here's a backported patch from rpm 4.5 adapted to rpm 4.4.2.2 that adds
> support for lzma as payload.
> http://people.mandriva.com/~pkarlsen/rpm-4.4.2.2-lzma-support.patch
>
> This will make rpm able to read packages with lzma payload just as any other
> payload, but due to lack of proper library/new lzma utils, lzma tool is
> required in addition if to be used for creation of packages with lzma
> payload.
>
> Please add as we're in the consideration of making the switch in Mandriva
> Linux, but worry about packages becoming incompatible with other rpm
> versions..
>
> thx! (I hope;)

Hmm. I'm not too happy about carrying a lzma decoder (small as it is)
in-tree, I've been trying to get rid of such things instead of adding
more :)

As the library support in lzma-utils seem to be just around the corner,
I'd rather concentrate on integrating support for that in rpm.org HEAD.
And then backport to 4.4.2.x if absolutely necessary (the impact on core
rpm code is pretty minimal so it's not out of the question).