[Rpm-maint] Improving Perl and Python dependency generation

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 11:02:13 UTC 2007

I had a look at Peter Gordon's python module finding code to work with
rpmbuild.

http://thecodergeek.com/downloads/fedora/scripts/find_python_modules_requires

I'd personally prefer something use the modulefinder module for python
2.3 and above.

Whilst we're at it'd also be nice if we could use Module::ScanDeps for
the perl module finding. This would be an external module, but we could
fall back on existing mechanisms.

We really shouldn't be writing our own language specific dependency
generators where good native ones already exist.

Any thoughts?  My perl is quite rusty so if someone wants to get a proof
of concept using Module::ScanDeps that'd be great and I'll work on the
python one after I get back from holiday on Wednesday.

Paul