[Rpm-maint] [Patch 06/19] Revert to using perl.req and .prov

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 13:06:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 07:46 -0500, Jason Corley wrote:
> Without any pointers to what "some issues" references how is anyone
> supposed to provide useful commentary on this and other patches?
> Reverting instead of fixing seems an odd choice.

If I remember correctly perldeps was only turned on briefly then
reverted as it was blowing up builds. You can test this by adding the
following to ~/.rpmmacros:

%__perl_provides        /usr/lib/rpm/perldeps.pl --provides
%__perl_requires        /usr/lib/rpm/perldeps.pl --requires

I just did this and built perl-Archive-Tar

+ /bin/mkdir
-p /var/tmp/perl-Archive-Tar-1.30-1.fc7-root-pauln/usr/share/doc/perl-Archive-Tar-1.30
+ cp -pr
README /var/tmp/perl-Archive-Tar-1.30-1.fc7-root-pauln/usr/share/doc/perl-Archive-Tar-1.30
+ exit 0
getOutputFrom(): Broken pipe

As I said this is meant as a merge of mostly functional changes, and I
want to look at the underlying methodologies individually, as such major
reworking getOutputFrom was beyond the scope of this patchset. My
prefered approach to fixing perl.req/prov was mentioned in an earlier
mail and I'd like to revisit how file class requires and provides are
handled generically.

Paul