[Rpm-maint] Python "rpm --verify"

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Feb 25 07:38:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 14:34 +1300, Mike Brady wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.  I am working on the bcfg2 project
> http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/bcfg2.

A useful project to work on from what I've heard about it. Some people
whose opinions I respect have spoken very well of it.

> The client side has drivers that support various aspects of a client's
> configuration.  One of the areas to cover is package management. There
> are RPM and YUM drivers, but they need to be reworked because they have
> a number of issues.
>
> Functionality is nothing earth shattering:
> query (rpm -qa) for inventory
> verify (rpm -V)
> add (rpm -i and rpm -U)
> remove (rpm -e)
>
> I have already done quite a bit of research and playing around with
> code.  I was hoping someone else may already done some of the work.
> Never mind, I guess I will have to start coding for real now.

If you want some help looking at some of this code or any advice I'll be
glad to take a look if you'd like me to. It's an area that needs some
fleshing out, imo and a worthwhile thing to work on. The only thing I'd
recommend is trying to make it as generic as possible so it can be used
outside of bcfg2, as well.

Thanks,
-sv