[Rpm-maint] RPM supports variable group name ?

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Feb 28 21:45:56 UTC 2007

Le Wednesday 28 February 2007, Sangeeta Varma a écrit :
> Olivier,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> How is that the same though ?
> I want to query the administrator installing the RPM (at install time)
> as to which group to set for the binary and then use that to set the
> group of the binary.
>
> Doesn't this ::
>  > %attr(755, user, group) /a/file
>
> imply that "group" is a known entity at build time ?

Fortunally not, otherwise we won't be able to build about 100 packages in
mandriva distro !

What you set in %attr is informationnal only at build time, but user/group are
mandatory when files from the package are installed (otherwise in doubt, rpm
give it root, message is "warning: group mandrake does not exist - using
root").
So creating the user/group in %pre is enough to please to rpm.

Regards.